Sunday, February 22, 2009

What am I?

OK, I've been thinking about this "backcountry" term and how painful it is becoming. I remember back when I first decided to dedicate my life to skiing, in the early nineties, the word du jour was "extreme." For a few years you could say extreme and skier in the same sentence and still have some dignity. Eventually the word devolved into a marketing term that could only really be used to describe caffeinated beverages. I fear a similar fate for backcountry if something isn't done soon. As a lover of the language, it saddens me to see such a useful word become useless. The problem is that the term backcountry is very concise and efficient and I can't think of a word to use in its stead. Maybe wildslide is the answer. I could consider myself a wildslider I guess. Anyway I got to this point because in my last post I described myself as a backcountry skier and ever since I have been cringing. I know that backcountry really means more than what it is typically used for these days. I'm rationalizing it in my own defense because I have at certain times actually skied in the backcountry. But what I do on a daily basis, here in VT, cannot accurately be described as backcountry skiing. Or extreme skiing for that matter. No, perhaps unconventional skiing would be better. Given that most people think of skiing as an activity that takes place at a specific ski area, serviced by ski lifts, eschewing these things would be considered unconventional, would it not? Or how about traditional skiing. In the early days of skiing as a sport (not as mode of transportation) the practitioners must surely have skied much as I choose to ski now, away from the crowds and accouterments of modern ski areas. You can say earning your turns, which has a nice ring to it but is somewhat cumbersome. You could describe yourself as a turnearner maybe. There are other popular terms floating around these days such as sidecountry and slackcountry both of which are used to denote skiing that is done from a ski resort but outside of the resort boundary. I do this a lot but I've not heard of anyone claiming to be primarily a sidecountry skier and until I do I will not claim to be one either. I suppose there is a certain romance in being a backcountry skier and I am certainly the type to fall for that sort of nonsense. But to truly be a backcountry skier I think requires actually getting into the backcountry, and I take that to mean wild places without motorized or mechanized access. Not the easiest thing to do here in populous New England, but certainly possible. what is a backcountry skier to do when the very sound of the word he most identifies with sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard? Perhaps the thing to do is go skiing.

No comments:

Post a Comment