Monday, March 23, 2009

Salomon Shogun Test Ride

I had a first look at the 09-10 Salomon Shogun today and so far, I like what I see. This is a ski that Salomon was lacking in their line last year and now they have a pretty solid lineup. As far as backcountry/sidecountry skis go, they now have three models ranging from 88-111 mm at the waist and covering a range of rocker styles. The shogun at 100 mm in the waist will be the most versatile of the three, wide enough to float you without being a handful on the cat track back to the lodge. The ski is fairly light, looks real pretty, and even incorporates sustainable technology in the form of bamboo construction. About which I care very little. Not that I'm anti green or anything, it's just that I feel like making bamboo fat skis is a day late and a dollar short on that front. Anyway, the ski performs beautifully in a variety of conditions, although I didn't get a chance to schralp any powder on it. The good news, in my book, is that it ripped on the hard stuff, quite a feat for a 100 mm ski. I'm pleased to announce that the era of versatile 100 mm skis is here. 100 is the new 85, you might say. Anyway, the thing felt plenty solid, was stable at speed, and made a variety of turn shapes. It felt like it had a little less effective sidecut than the K2 Hardside that I skied earlier in the week, which is a plus for some people. I personally like as much sidecut as I can get, as long as it doesn't toss me around in powder and crud. That's my own opinion though and judging by the prevailing design philosophy in the category, other people disagree. To each his own. While we're on the subject of personal opinions, the one thing I really don't like about these skis, and the other models in Salomon's free ski line, is the twin tip. I know there are countless arguments for and against the extra tip, but for me it's just a pain in the ass. It makes it hard to stick the tail in the snow during transitions from skinning to skiing, impossible to fit in the ski carriers on most gondolas, annoying for anyone to ski behind you due the rooster tail, and requires extra attention when affixing many climbing skins. As for the positives, well, I can't think of any. No worries though, I have a method of fixing it that I'll detail in a later post. At least on this particular ski the twintip is moderate, what Salomon calls semi twin. I may have to add this ski to my quiver for next year, although I have to keep reminding myself that I don't need to own every 100mm waisted ski there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment